What is different about Dr. Veselak’s Approach?
#1) Dr. Veselak’s Expertise: Dr. Michael Veselak is Board Certified in Integrative Medicine and a Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner, allowing him to thoroughly evaluate patients both neurologically and metabolically, both of which play an important role in thyroid care. Dr. Veselak has the education, the credentials and the certification to find the root cause of your condition and treat accordingly. This is why we take the time to do a two-step intake process. We focus on properly identifying the cause of the thyroid problem to give you the most comprehensive answers you have been searching for.
#2) Dr. Veselak thoroughly evaluates the underlying metabolic causes of your condition: Most patients who suffer with thyroid disease are told that they have hypothyroidism and need a thyroid replacement. Generally, these patients are diagnosed because of an elevated TSH level. Unfortunately, the correct testing is never done to find out the underlying cause of why the patient has low thyroid function. Many women suffer from all of the symptoms of hypothyroid, but when their TSH values show normal, they are told that everything is fine. Most of the time, this is not the case. In fact, there are many reasons why this can occur. However, the bottom line is that if you want a chance to be free of the fatigue, the weight gain, the anxiety, the lack of motivation, the joint pain, and the myriad of other symptoms that can accompany thyroid disease, you have to figure out what underlying factors are affecting the production and utilization of your thyroid hormones! Dr. Veselak will run advanced, specialized testing to assess for the underlying causes.
Common examples of thyroid symptoms include:
Hypothyroid (Low Function): Hyperthyroid (High Function):
– Chronic Fatigue – Heart Palpitations
– Irritability between meals – Anxiety
– Depression/lack of motivation – Diarrhea
– Constipation/Bloating – Increased Pulsed Rate
– Weight gain – Insomnia
– Cold hands/feet – Night sweats
– Morning headaches – Weight loss
– Hair loss – Nervous/Emotional
– Dry Skin – Brain fog
* Hashimoto’s is an autoimmune disorder of the thyroid and can cause both hypothyroid and hyperthyroid symptoms.
#3) Dr. Veselak has a unique approach to helping patients who suffer from the symptoms of thyroid disease: Many practitioners who claim to treat thyroid disease aim their treatment at replacing thyroid hormones. However, to truly address these symptoms correctly, you have to address the patient from a metabolic standpoint as well as the underlying genetics. Methylation is key to adequate delivery of the thyroid hormone to the cell. We analyze not only the MTHR gene but several other genes to optimize health and function of the body. How methylation affects brain health and neurotransmitters are equally important when addressing a thyroid patient. It is common for thyroid patients to have neurological symptoms due to how the thyroid function can negatively impact the health of the brain. This results in certain areas of the brain beginning to over-fire. Therefore, it is important to optimize brain function when restoring health to a patient with thyroid symptoms.
Some examples of neurologic symptoms that often develop in thyroid patients:
– Chronic Fatigue – Light Sensitivity – Anxiety
– Vertigo/Balance Disorders – Sound Sensitivity – Increased Sweating
– Decreased Libido – Headaches – Insomnia
– Depression – Heart Palpitations – Nerve Pain
#4) Our office offers the most advanced technology in alternative medicine! Laser therapy supports reduction of inflammation in the thyroid. We also offer oxygen therapy, whole body vibration therapy, eye lights therapy, and neurofeedback. These are only a few examples of the revolutionary treatments we use in our office.
How is our Neurological Approach Different?
Dr. Veselak will take a 3-pronged approach to rehabilitating any neurological imbalances that may have been caused as a result of your thyroid dysfunction. The 3 areas that Dr. Veselak will evaluate and treat when necessary are:
(1) The Nerves
(2) The Spinal Column
(3) The Brain
Once Dr. Veselak has determined the specific neurological systems that need to be addressed he will employ state of the art rehab for those areas.
Therapies for the Nerves:
(1) Class 4 Laser Therapy: We use the M6 Robotic laser for accelerating tissue repair and inflammation reduction. This laser incorporates the use of 4 class 4 laser heads to help accelerate tissue healing. This laser is also phenomenal for reducing pain and inflammation.
(2) Nerve Regeneration Therapy: This is a unique, one of a kind form of nerve stimulation. It is FDA approved and is the only form of nerve stimulation that fires a nerve both chemically and electrically at the same time. This makes a huge difference in reestablishing proper nerve activity and reducing pain levels due to misfiring or damaged nerves.
(3) InfraRed Therapy: These boots use healing infrared light to help increase blood flow to the extremities. The increase in blood flow allows oxygen and nutrients to be delivered to the damaged nerve tissue.
(4) Cold Laser Therapy: This is class 3 laser therapy. We use class 3 laser to support the reduction of inflammation in the neck and back. It can also be used to activate misfiring patterns in neurological function.
Therapies for the Spinal Cord:
(1) Chiropractic Adjustments: We use gentle adjustments to create feedback to the brain. We typically use unilateral adjustments to help stimulate and balance the brain. Adjustments also may help to restore proper alignment to the spinal column and can help to prevent arthritic change in the spine.
(2) Non-Surgical Spinal Decompression: Disc herniations, spinal stenosis, and degenerative changes in the spine can contribute to nerve irritation and inflammation. They can also create extreme levels of pain in the back, neck, and head. Spinal decompression uses a sophisticated computer system to gradually stretch open the disc spaces in the low back and neck. This advanced technology allows us to bypass spastic muscles and open up the disc spaces in the vertebrae reducing inflammation, muscle spasticity, pain, and nerve irritation.
(3) Intersegmental Traction: This table helps to improve mobility of the spinal joints. Increased spinal flexibility helps to reduce pain, inflammation and nerve irritation.
Therapies for the Brain:
(1) Whole Body Vibration: We use the Theravibe whole body vibration plate in our office. This is a true vertical vibration plate that you stand on. It sends vertical vibrations throughout the body helping to increase blood flow and lymphatic flow throughout the body. It results in thousands of reflexive muscle reactions per minute leading to increased muscle strength, tone, and balance. With the vertical movement it fires the vestibular system which activates the cerebellum of the brain.
(2) Balance Training: Balance is regulated via 3 systems. The primary centers for balance are the eyes, the vestibular system (inner ear, cerebellum) and the peripheral nerves. The rehabilitation for balance trains the cerebellum of the brain which is a vitally important area for certain thyroid patients.
(3) Oxygen Therapy: The brain is the most oxygen dependent organ in the body. Supporting the brain with oxygen while rehabbing it allows the brain to respond better and faster to the stimulation we are giving it.
(4) Exercise with Oxygen Therapy: Exercise drives blood flow and increased circulation. Exercising while breathing enriched air helps push even higher levels of oxygen to the brain.
(5) Interactive Metronome: This is a computer monitored brain rehabilitation tool. The frontal lobes of the brain control movement of the body as well as helping to regulate memory, focus, and emotions. The frontal lobes of the brain are also used for timing, impulse control, and movement. The interactive metronome exercises the frontal lobe by incorporating all three of these activities into one exercise. It is a dynamic therapy that can be helpful for balance, emotional health, memory, overall brain health, and
(6) Neurofeedback: This is a non-invasive process where brain waves are monitored in real time by a computer, which can then use that information to produce changes in brainwave activity. The process of adjusting brainwave activity is known as operant conditioning, which is a method where rewards for
positive behavior influence changes in the way the brain fires.
The combination of addressing all of the metabolic factors and supporting brain health gives you the best chance at recovering from your thyroid nightmare!